Monday, March 4, 2013

Our KEY WEST Vacation without the kids! - PART ONE

The Happy Couple...celebrating 15 years of marriage!

Robert Is Here Fruit Stand, Florida City, FL.
Robert Is Here Fruit Stand in Florida City was our first stop on our weekend adventure without kids!  Be sure to visit their website!  How the fruit stand started is my favorite part of the place!  It reminds me of the days when I was little and my grandpaw would leave me up at the corner of 27th Ave and US1 selling mangoes!  If I had only thought to start a stand!  Jeff had the Key Lime Shake!  It was DE-LIC-IOUS!!!!!!!!!  Fresh key lime juice MUST be the trick!
Look close!  That's Robert in the red shirt!  He WAS there!


NEXT STOP...


Tarpon feeding at Robbie's, Islamorada

I had heard of Robbie's for years but never stopped!  This time it was on my list...just as cool as I had imagined!  We purchased a $5 bucket of fish and headed down to the dock.  Dozens of huge tarpon sat waiting for us.  It's a simple as this...lean over the dock, fish in hand, and out pops a tarpon!  If you've got kids, this is a MUST SEE!  Even without kids, it was exciting!


After feeding the fish, we had lunch at the Hungry Tarpon restaurant.  Our first Keys restaurant experience of the weekend.  It's tiny but great! 


AFTER LEAVING ROBBIE'S...

Unfortunately, because the road to Key West is mostly 2-lane, if an accident happens, you might be stuck for a while.  We experienced this after a 5 car accident on a 2 lane bridge.  (It recommend making sure you have a book and bottle of water handy!) Fortunately for us, we were stopped right at the entrance of Long Key State Park.  We decided to visit while we had the time.


Beautiful boardwalks, tidal lagoons, tents camping on platforms, and rv camping on the beach!

AND FINALLY, WE REACH KEY WEST!  

Here's our trip...in pictures!

A beautiful old fort down by the water








We stumbled up the Annual Conch Shell Blowing Contest!  Pretty amazing how some people had such a hard time and other's were loud and clear!  This contestant did it while hullahooping!



Cafe Sole...one of our favorite restaurants in 
Key West!  I had the Hogfish Sole, my husband had the Skirt Steak...both were outstanding!





If you LOVE desserts...you MUST stop at BETTER THAN SEX!  A dessert restaurant than will make your mouth water!  I could go crazy wife on you right now but I'll keep it clean!  The name of the restaurant IS...Better Than Sex!  They sell desserts.  The best desserts you'll ever taste!  It's dark inside, the pictures in the collage are exact.  The menus glow.  While eating, I told my husband, "I'd love to see the kitchen here!" To my surprise, as soon as we turned the corner after leaving, they have a huge window for the public to peek in!  MUST, MUST, MUST GO without kids!